Ridhi Mehra Shares Exclusive Details On Her ‘5 Year Anniversay’ Collection
With her own personal blend of ethnic silhouettes, modern design aesthetic and a star-studded clientele boasting of names like Anushka Sharma, Kareena Kapoor Khan, Sonam Kapoor, Deepika Padukone, Aditi Rao Hydari and Parineeti Chopra among others, Ridhi Mehra is no longer a label that would need an introduction. And all this in just 5 years! Yes, the label is celebrating it’s 5th anniversary this year. To commemorate this landmark, Ridhi has designed a limited edition capsule collection titled ‘The Ridhi Mehra 5 Year Anniversary Collection’ which is available exclusively on the label’s official website.
MFG got in touch with the design genius to find out more about this beautiful capsule collection and here’s what Ridhi revealed to us…
1. How has your experience been these past five years?
From developing the very signature style of Ridhi Mehra when I started out to constantly evolving it every season, it’s the love & rave reviews of my customers that have made these 5 years so incredible!
2. Over the years we’ve seen the prints, the embroideries, the techniques in your collection change but the design aesthetic continues to be typically Ridhi Mehra. How do you manage to do that?
I always ensure my outfits are minimally embellished, understated, not over the top yet opulent in an indulgent way. Every collection has a very strong design inspiration and a cohesive aesthetic that comes through in every piece.
3. What would you say has been the driving force behind your creativity all these years?
As cliché as it sounds, I love pushing the envelope with every collection/season – the campaigns are getting more opulent & ‘cooler’, runway presentations are getting bigger & more fabulous, newer collaborations, more innovation in design and techniques – an all-new Ridhi Mehra every season.
4. What served as your inspiration for this capsule collection? Any particular techniques, textiles and trends to look out for?
The collection features fabulous, printed cocktail sarees, cape tops & blouses with plush faux feathers, exaggerated tassels & fringe detailing, flared trousers and opulent printed skirts. For our 5th Anniversary limited edition collection, we went back to our very roots; Ridhi Mehra was started with a view to make occasion wear that was contemporary, luxurious yet affordable! From introducing embroidered crop tops to Indian jumpsuits, all runaway successes, we have always believed in innovating and re-evolving our signature silhouettes & designs. Plus, with the ever-increasing number of wedding events & soirées, the need for affordable trousseau outfits is real! Women want outfits that are versatile, which they can mix & match as they please. For example blouse tops that can be worn with different sarees or tops paired with different skirts & trousers. This is what made me want to work on a special collection of minimal & affordable separates, complete with signature Ridhi Mehra elements!
5. From Kareena Kapoor to Anushka Sharma to Parineeti Chopra to Shilpa Shetty, you boast of quite a star-studded clientele, is there any Bollywood diva that you’d particularly want to see your creation on?